BAM: Becoming a Man
Youth Guidance’s Becoming A Man® program (BAM®) is a school-based group counseling program that guides young men in 7-12th grades to learn, internalize and practice social cognitive skills, make responsible decisions for their future and become positive members of their school and community. BAM integrates clinical theory and practice, men’s rites of passage work, and a dynamic approach to youth engagement.
Each session is built around a lesson plan designed to develop a specific skill through stories, role-playing, and group exercises. BAM students
- Learn and practice impulse control,
- Emotional self-regulation,
- Recognition of social cues,
- Interpreting the intentions of others,
- Raising aspirations for the future,
- Developing a sense of personal responsibility
Students who participate in BAM are more likely to stay in school, develop healthy relationships, and stay out of the juvenile justice system.
(Excerpt from BAM Website.)